Tuesday, January 09, 2007

BUCKEYES, GATORS AND AMERICAN CULTURE


The predictions were simply wrong… and painful. All the time, Ohio State was expected to win the BCS Championship but they fell short and lose sloppily. Florida Gators, the underdog, proved to be more agile, and hungrier for the title.

I have never understood American Football. How could fans came in the stadium with painted faces, wearing their team’s color and enjoy such the game of running and power? I have never understood it until now. Until I saw Gators slowly slaughtering my Buckeyes. It was unbelievable and I could not take it. By the time the first half ended, it was a 34-14 in favor of Gators. It was then that I shut off the TV and never wanted to watch it again. But even on bed, I can’t help but think of their defeat.

I would normally get a Tuesday newspaper, but this time, I opted not to. But who can escape from it. Hence, I resolved to see what happened. Indeed, the Gators won and we lost, 41 – 14. Although the Ohio coach and Troy Smith put up a face, yet the fact is, Gators won, and there is no doubt about it. They are now the no. 1 in college football this year.

But like a good fan, I say, see you next year. And God willing, we could get the most coveted BCS Championship trophy.

Understanding American Football, is understanding the American psyche. Understanding football is understanding the culture of the community. If you can’t dig it, then you will never dig the American psyche. And for me, well, I am slowly digging it.

But in the end, I say, GO BUCKEYES GO!