Thursday, January 25, 2007

CHECK LIST FOR 2007 by Glenn Jaboneta

PART III (part 2 of this article can be seen at http://thelastphilosophers.blogspot.com/ )


(Conversion of St. Paul)
On the virtue of MORTIFICATION. The Scripture reads, “Truly, I say to you, unless the grain of wheat falls to the earth and dies, it remains alone; but if it dies, it produces much fruit. Whoever loves his life destroys it, and whoever despises his life in this world keeps it for everlasting life. Whoever wants to serve me, let him follow me and wherever I am, there shall my servant be also. If anyone serves me, the Father will honor him. Now my soul is in distress. Shall I say Father, save me from this hour? But, I have come to this hour to face all this, Father glorify your name!” (Jn. 12: 24-28)

The practice of mortification is not only for the religious. In whatever state of life we find ourselves immersed into the practice of this particular virtue remains significant. Let me offer some ways. Let us start with the story of dying.

Mobile phones nowadays, are part of life. The most sophisticated, very expensive and up-to-date mobile phones are in the hands of religious men and women and to us to me former seminarians. I could still remember the words of Fr. Jesus Martinez, C.M. in one of his Spiritual Direction sessions with the seminarians. In his perspective, material possessions could be considered basura. He was talking about cars then, branded body pieces and some items considered luxurious by the standards of seminary life. There were no mobile phones yet at that time. I do not know if Fr. Martinez would call it basura. But I feel the point is in serving Christ there is a call for sacrifice.

Towards the end of 2006, I received a call from Jessric. The center of our conversation was on the aspect of sacrifice. He is a father now and he is planning to go out of the country not for himself but for his family.

Rey F. he belongs to the batch of Christian B. and Nonoy M. to name a few. When I met him here in school he told me that his son who is too young to suffer needs a heart operation. I am updated about the things being done to his son. He went to Manila for the operation and the son was admitted at the Philippine Heart Center. November 14, 2006, I received a text message from Loiue Placido. I quote, “Claude Wayne passed away. He is now with God. Pls. pray for Rey F. and family.” I am certain like any other father if he could be the one to endure the pain not the son. Sana ako na lang.

I feel this is mortification strictly speaking. Rustom Padilla was given the question when he revealed that he is gay if he is sexually active. We can also look at mortification in this way. But I feel we need also to celebrate and wonderfully accept who we are in the context of authentic friendships. At the same time condemning the act of sexual abuses committed against people especially because that is not the way to celebrate sexuality.

The guide questions:

Am I willing to die to myself?
Am I willing at times to forget about my needs and sacrifice for others?
Do I at times do things for others in a begrudging manner?

Finally, the APOSTOLIC ZEAL. Matthew’s image of this zeal has something to do with salt. Matthew is saying, “You are the salt of the earth. But if salt has lost its taste, how can it be made salty again? It has become useless. It can only be thrown away and people will trample on it.” (Mt.5: 13)

The following questions could help us.

Am I enthusiastic in my apostolic work?
Do I inspire hope in others and for others?
Am I showing signs of burn out and indifference in my dealings with others?
Do I truly see the poor as my “Lords” and “Masters”, treating them like objectives, as stepping stones to my “own greater honor and glory?


This zeal is true in whatever calling we are in. As religious it is essential, we preach with passion, we listen to people from the heart and live vows no matter how challenging it is.

In marriage, it is like saying “may asim pa” when it comes to sleeping and waking up with the same person the rest of our lives. We need to put zeal in the covenant of love we forge with the beloved.

What is so blessed about being single? Just like me. It is the zeal one puts to it. Now that I am literally staying in De Paul College last novena masses popularly known as the Simbang Gabi in one of the masses I attended the celebrant said I am 47 years old and was ordained priest last year. Fr. Danny after his break in Manila told me a certain Elioraga a classmate of Fr. Roland Tuason is now back. It is the zeal one puts to live life as a religious or being single but with a heart full of smiles.

I wish to express my sincerest gratitude to Bogs, to Alex and all those who remain steadfast in their generosity. Thank you so much. God bless you a hundredfold.

Happy New Year to all and Happy Feast Day!